Posted by Abby on 5/20/2013
Yields two 10"-12" pizzas or about four 6" pizzas.
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 package (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
1. In a large bowl, add warm water. Sprinkle in yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until yeast is fully dissolved. Stir to dissolve completely.
2. With electric mixer, mix in olive oil, flour, salt and sugar on low speed for about a minute. Use dough hook and continue mixing until the dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). If you don't have a dough hook you can knead by hand. If the dough seems a little too wet, sprinkle on a bit more flour.
3. Place ball of dough in a bowl that has been coated lightly with olive oil. Turn the dough around in the bowl so that it gets coated with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let sit in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (or several hours longer, a longer rise will improve flavor). If you don't have a warm place, you can heat your oven to 150F then turn off, let oven cool, then place bowl of dough in.
Preparing the Pizzas
Preheat oven to 450F
1. Remove the plastic cover from the dough and punch dough down so it deflates a bit. Divide dough in half. Form two round balls of dough. Place each in its own bowl, cover with plastic and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Working one ball of dough at a time, take one ball of dough and flatten it with your hands on a slightly floured surface. Starting at the center and working outwards, use your fingertips to press the dough to 1/2" thick. Turn and stretch the dough until it will not stretch further. Let the dough relax 5 minutes and then continue to stretch it until it reaches the desired diameter. Use your palm to flatten the edge of the dough where it is thicker. You can pinch the very edges if your want to form a lip.
3. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil. Use your fingertips to press down and make dents along the surface of the dough to prevent bubbling. Let rest another 5 minutes. Repeat with second ball of dough.
4. Lightly sprinkle pizza peel or pizza pan with corn meal.
5. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until crust is crisp and golden brown.