Posted by Abby on 7/29/2013
Ingredients for Roll Ups
- 8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 14 oz freshly shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup freshly, finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 to 4 medium Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup marinara sauce, recipe follows (or you can use store bought marinara)
Simple Marinara Sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions for Marinara
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions to hot oil and saute about 3 minutes until soft, adding garlic during last minute or sauteing. Pour in crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Bring mixture just to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow sauce to cook for about 25-30 minutes.
Directions for Roll Ups
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cook pasta according to directions listed on package to al dente. Drain pasta and align lasagna noodles in a single layer on a large sheet of parchment or wax paper.
2. For filling, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese and egg white until well blended. Stir in parmesan cheese. Mix in 12 oz of the mozzarella cheese and season with black pepper to taste.
3. Place 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over each lasagna noodle and spread into an even layer, going from one end of the lasagna to the other. Align 4 thin tomato slices over cheese mixture then sprinkle fresh basil over top. Roll lasagna noodles to the opposite end. Spread about 1/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of an 11x7" baking dish. Align lasagna roll ups, seam side down in dish. Top each roll up with about 2 tbsp of the pasta sauce (covering edges of pasta so they don't dry out while baking).
4. Sprinkle top with remaining 2 oz shredded mozzarella.
5. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven, plate pasta and garnish with plenty of basil ribbons. Serve warm.